HOT's work in Senegal started with a field mission funded through the World Bank’s ICT (Internet and Communications Technology) Branch and the Fondation de France, thanks to a partnership with OpenStreetMap France (OSM-FR). Three HOT participants conducted training and networking activities over three weeks (20 May - 9 June, 2012) aiming to fostering the growth of the OpenStreetMap (OSM) project in Senegal. In this first mission, HOT reached out to ongoing GIS projects, local Tech communities, Senegalese geomatics scene actors (Senegalese SDI), and Academics leading to the cultivation and training of a local OSM Community in Senegal.
In regards to the humanitarian component, OSM and HOT work has been presented to an audience comprised of the UN IM/GIS from OCHA-ROWCA, World Food Program, UNICEF and ICRC, as well as representatives from the local tech communities (JokkoLabs) to put the focus on the cooperation between Humanitarian actors and the Voluntary Technical Communities (VTCs). Eventually those actions will lead to the building of a local OSM community and the creation of an OSM environment in Senegal and in Western Africa for crisis preparation, recovery, and development contexts.
An additional deployment of a HOT coordinator in Senegal was made in the fall of 2012 to continue fostering the growing OSM_SN community. Learn more about the flourishing OSM_SN Community at its OSM wiki page, its twitter , and the blog posts listed below.
Related blog posts
- Setting up the OSM ecosystem in Senegal 1: Reaching out to GIS projects
- Setting up the OSM ecosystem in Senegal 2: Reaching out to the Senegalese Tech communities
- Setting up the OSM ecosystem in Senegal 3: Reaching out the Senegalese geomatics scene (Senegalese SDI)
- Setting up the OSM ecosystem in Senegal 4: Reaching out to the Academics
- Setting up the OSM ecosystem in Senegal 5: Building a local OSM groups in Louga
- Setting up the OSM ecosystem in Senegal 6: Building the humanitarian component
- The OSM Project Senegal joining TechCamp Dakar 30-31 August 2012
- Back To Senegal - further creating a mapping-party
- Animating the OSM Senegal community
- The Openstreetmap_Senegal (OSM_SN) community is expanding to the region of Casamance in Senegal
- La communauté OSM_SN s’étend à la Casamance, Sénégal.
- Senegal : le mapping de Saint-Louis avance et le projet OSM_SN s'établit.
- Senegal : mapping in Saint-Louis is going well and OSM_SN project getting stronger